[TF-CBA] Defining the Needs of Regional Capacity Building

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 07:58:29 CET 2014

Hi Fahd,

Thanks for suggesting this but let me put a hold on some things and
meter the enthusiasm.

You can understand the temperature of the needs during the various DNS
forums you are conducting. I hate such quickly triggered surveys
without a reasonable hypothesis challenged at least by 3-4 people.
What did we have the MESWG doing if this is the way you want to go.

I proposed TF-CBA in a horizontal format so we could review each thing
that came up collectively and intelligently, not to jump at each
suggestion. Kindly hold on these things until and unless the steering
group has discussed this on their own and a needs assessment is not a
one day activity, it takes months and should be sensitive to a number
of conditional and unconditional variables.

Where I support the proposal, I didn't want to put my thumb down just
then in the meeting. It was a proposal, it wasn't approved by me nor
did I get a chance to defend my pow in a steering committee meeting.

Needs assessment is what we covered to a great deal during the MESWG
strategy development. The needs assessment in this case is specific to
a region. I cannot apply what Pakistan needs to Iran, there may be
similarities but never the same solution.

Our CBA primary challenge is to address awareness and if we believe
that we are stepping into the region with an assessment that there is
a good understanding of the DNS industry, sorry to say, that is not
the case and if it were, the MESWG wouldn't have the goals it has now
set out for the region.

I will suggest to keep the issue of needs assessment country, partner
and training specific instead of throwing a new bulldozer at the
group.

This TF has been designed to develop curriculum and provide
instruction. When I see the need assessment part as if we were an NGO
come into challenge the whole work already done, it becomes
questionable.

Lets stay focused to a training by training initiative, the steering
committee can assess in the end of need assessments or not.Do the
survey at the DNS Forum if you will need to but I am not putting this
TF into these academic style speed breakers.

To this end, I am not supporting any survey outside the remit of the DNS forum.

--
Regards.